Girl dies of medicine ‘overdose’

 In an example of how private nursing homes hijack patients through agents, a family, lured into one of them, had to pay with their daughter’s life.

A 10-year-old girl under treatment at a private nursing home here died allegedly due to overdose of medicine on Thursday. Child’s grandfather B Ram Babu has filed a complaint with the Burla police station. The girl has been identified as G Ramaiya of Badpiplipali village in Bargarh. She was suffering from fever and taken to the local hospital on July 27 where doctors referred her to VSS Medical at Burla.

However, family members of the girl fell into the trap of an unscrupulous agent who took them to the house of a paediatrician. After examining the child, the doctor asked her parents to admit her to the nursing home on Wednesday. Family members alleged that instead of examining her properly, the doctor administered two antibiotics to her in the nursing home.

Soon after, the girl got numb and did not even move her limbs. Although Babu reported the matter to the para medical staff, they refused to act and asked him to wait till the doctor comes. When the doctor did not turn up, Babu went to his home only to be turned back.  Later in the evening, she was diagnosed with jaundice and administered another injection. On Thursday morning, Ramaiya’s condition deteriorated and developed respiratory problems. She died at 11 am before the doctor reached the hospital to treat her.

While the diagnosis report of Ramaiya confirmed jaundice, family members alleged that overdose of antibiotics and wrong treatment resulted in the death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.